Subject: Re: Source distributions vs. patches
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/1998 22:02:56
[ On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 07:14:09 (-0400), Stan Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Source distributions vs. patches
>
> 	Are you saying that pax s more eficent than tar?

Not necessarily more efficient, but it is supposedly going to replace
tar at some point (with an appropriate command-line simulation for the
anachronistic).

As I recall it's also a wee bit more careful about various operations
than GNU tar (i.e. what NetBSD tar is derived from), according to the
backup utility tests Elizabeth Zwicky did some time ago.

(In general its command-line interface makes more sense....)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>