Subject: Re: Anyone successfully compile NAS?
To: Zach Fine <>
From: Kevin Cousins <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/1998 14:03:53

I managed to get nas-1.2p5 to build on my machine when it had
NetBSD/i386 1.2 on it---I am now at NetBSD/i386 1.3.1.  Anyway, the
only change that I can see that I made in order to get it to compile
was to find the following line in the top level Makefile:

  EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lgnumalloc

and to make it say:

  EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lgnumalloc -lossaudio

Note that this happened some time ago now, and that I cannot be
certain that my build was bulletproof, but I did manage to install it
and get it running without much trouble after I made that change.  I
think, from memory, that I ran xmkmf first, in order to generate the
Makefile in the first place---I seem to remember spending some short
period pottering around in the Imakefile to see whether I could make
my hack in a more elegant way, but my ignorance of the detailed
workings of imake quickly curtailed that little venture.

FWIW, I soon got rsynth working, too, though I don't recall much about
that process.

--Kevin, who mourns the lack of provision for audio in the XEmacs/BSDi
binary distribution, but who now has afterstep making stupid noises at

*** Makefile	Thu Jan 15 13:59:18 1998
--- Makefile~	Thu Jan 15 13:38:37 1998
*** 206,210 ****
!   EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -lgnumalloc -lossaudio
               TAGS = ctags
--- 206,210 ----