Subject: Re: Source distributions vs. patches
To: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@ukans.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/1998 09:09:00
On Mon, 11 May 1998, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> Will 1.3.2 also be available as a patch?  I have to admit that I find it
> much easier to apply a patch, type 'make build' and forget about it for
> a few hours, than to download all the sources again.  I assume the
> upgrade procedure, in the absence of a patch, would go something like
> this:

	I would be very surprised if it was not also available as a patch
	(I'm not anywhere in that decision, so I can't make any guaranteed
	statement :)

> # cp /sys/arch/<arch>/conf/CONFIGFILE /where/i/want/to/keep/it/safe
> # rm -rf /usr/src/*
> # cd /where/i/have/the/source/tarfiles
> # foreach distfile (`ls *src.tgz`)
> > zcat $distfile | ( cd /usr/src | tar --unlink -xvpf - )
> > end
> # cd /usr/src; make build
>
> Is that basically correct?

	Pretty much, though its good practice to update the kernel before
	the userland (in this case it probably doesn't matter)

	I would be tempted to phrase it as:

  # cp /sys/arch/<arch>/conf/CONFIGFILE /where/i/want/to/keep/it/safe
  # cd /usr/src/
  # rm -rf *
  # foreach f ( /where/i/have/the/source/tarfiles/*src.tgz )
  > tar xvpzf $f
  > end
  # cp /where/i/want/to/keep/it/safe /sys/arch/<arch>/conf/CONFIGFILE
  # <build kernel, install, reboot>
  # make build

	But I just prefer typing as little as possible :)

			David/absolute