Subject: Source distributions vs. patches
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/1998 08:55:10
David Brownlee wrote:

>         I'd expect NetBSD 1.3.2 to come with a complete source
>         distribution, rather than just the patchfile like 1.3.1.

Will 1.3.2 also be available as a patch?  I have to admit that I find it
much easier to apply a patch, type 'make build' and forget about it for
a few hours, than to download all the sources again.  I assume the
upgrade procedure, in the absence of a patch, would go something like
this:

# cp /sys/arch/<arch>/conf/CONFIGFILE /where/i/want/to/keep/it/safe
# rm -rf /usr/src/*
# cd /where/i/have/the/source/tarfiles
# foreach distfile (`ls *src.tgz`)
> zcat $distfile | ( cd /usr/src | tar --unlink -xvpf - )
> end
# cd /usr/src; make build

Is that basically correct?

--
Christofer C. Bell                      Information Systems Lead
Union Computing Services                email: cbell@ukans.edu