Subject: Where's all my CPU time going?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/01/1998 15:46:07
This is probably a fairly basic question, but I find I'm not sure how to
answer it:

I've got a pmax with many users on it, and I'm seeing upwards of 50% cpu
time used in system calls (according to "systat vmstat").  I know I can
recompile my kernel with profiling enabled, and that'll tell me which
functions are using the CPU; but is there any method short of that for
finding out why we're spending so much time in kernel-space?  50% just
seems a bit excessive to me...

Chris

Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...