Subject: Re: Problems making my machine a gateway.
To: David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/1998 11:28:30
> > I have compiled the kernel to have the GATEWAY option and set up the
> > libretto to point to the desktop as a gateway. But it doesn't work. I am
> > totally stumped.

> Can you explain details on "it doesn't work"?  Can you run traceroute or ping
> from the libretto to something on the outside world?  Can you ping the
> ppp interface's ip address from libretto (in your following example, it would
> be dialup05.wr.com.au).

> Also, can ishtar ping something else other than hosts at 203.12.42.x?

Oh, oops.  I bet you need IPNAT set up since your provider only maps one
ip address per modem.  I have that set up at home, I can zap you my
configuration files this evening (morning by your timezone since you're
in .au).

My configuration is fairly simple to use, it automagically configures
the NAT translation when the pppd establishes a connection, and cleans
it out when pppd hangs up.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.