Subject: Re: Problems making my machine a gateway.
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/1998 09:10:00
J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
> I've got my NetBSD/VAX machine set up as a gateway - but there' tricks. The one thing you're
> probably missing is: setting net.inet.ip.forwarding=1. It LOOKS like this is done when you compile
> with GATEWAY, but it isn't. Also, make sure your ISP is routing you a subnet. If he's only routing
> one IP, it won't work. You'd need a proxy. If he's routing a subnet, it'll work. I have a 8-address
> (6 useable) subnet routed to my home.
>
> As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna write a ppp/gateway setup faq, since there isn't one
> already.  I'll post it here when I'm done.

Actually, if you're only getting a single IP address, just use IPNAT.  The
best HOWTO for setting this up is currently unavailable (it's on
www.macbsd.com, for future reference), but the NetBSD documentation pages
(on www.netbsd.org) contain pointers to the main IP-Filter homepage, which
also describes how to setup IP-NAT.  I have 4 machines here at home on an
ethernet hub which are all connected part-time to the net via my 5th
machine which is running NetBSD and IP-NAT and is connected to the 'Net
via a single IP modem link.  I think that setup took me about 10 minutes
for the most basic forwarding of everything.

Later.