Subject: dial-in lock-up
To: netbsd tech-kern <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/1998 08:12:03
Hello everybody,

Has anyone else experienced this problem? (NetBSD 1.2 - 1.2.1):

You have a getty on a modem port (my case tty02),
you dial in and log in, just a dumb connection - not ppp...
...everything fine so far.
You disconnect from the dial in...
Now your machine is locked up until you dial-in again.
(this you know because you're also logged in via a telnet from the network
or logged into local console and now they're frozen!)

As soon as you reconnect, your back in business -- as if whatever was
happening had been taking 100% of your CPU resources. As if when the line
was hung up, a NO_BLOCKING open to the modem port never came back (didn't
just hang-up because it's waiting for data - in other words, NO_BLOCKING is
not working).

I've reproduced this on pristine installations of NetBSD 1.2 and 1.2.1 but I
couldn't reproduce it on 1.3

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Although I haven't seen any
mention of such a problem on the lists or change logs, was this a problem
that was addressed from 1.2 to 1.3?

Any help is extremely appreciated (I've got 40 boxes to fix this on :-o )

Thanks!
Don Ray - Service Technologies
Picker International
email: dray@servecom.picker.com