Subject: NetBSD 1.3: No Operating System
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/1998 22:36:29
I have a notebook I've been running NetBSD on for about 4 years now.

Recently, I installed NetBSD 1.3 on it and now I';ve got the infamous
'No Operating System' when I attempt to boot from the hard disk.

I junked the 1st cylinder of the disk via
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d count=1008" before installing to before
I had no residual disklabels or such before installing 1.3.

I have tried a number of things:

* installing DOS
* reinstalling MBR via "fdisk /mbr" in DOS
* reinstalling boot blocks

None of these have had any affect.  The true geometery of the disk
is 2633 16 63, but NetBSD only users 1024 16 63 (which has never been
a problem, and I cannot imagine how it would be one now).  At anyrate
even if I make the BIOS geo have 1024 cylinders, it still has not
affect (ie I still can't boot from the hard disk).

Ideas?