Subject: Re: dynamic IP and ethernet
To: None <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/1998 17:25:55
> Has anyone had any experience with NetBSD and
> Media One Express Cable Modems (which have
> an ethernet interface and dynamic IP address)?

Yup, this message is being sent from such a system at the moment..

> Specifically, any suggestions on where to start
> reading about how to set up my NetBSD/mac68k box
> to work with dynamic IP addresses on the ethernet
> card?

use NetBSD-1.3 and the dhclient program.  you'll have to hack the rc
> to run dhclient instead of ifconfig but it should Just Work(tm).

> I want to have some of this figured out before calling MediaOne (and
> having them tell me to go buy a Windows PC)

The installers will want to see oyu running a supported OS when they
come to install so they can verify that the installation completed
correctly.  But they don't care what you run after that point as long
as it doesn't screw up the network..

						- Bill