Subject: Re: serial console on 1.3_BETA
To: Santiago de la Paz <garnett@suod.cs.colorado.edu>
From: Gerryt <gerryt@portal.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/09/1997 13:49:14
On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Santiago de la Paz wrote:

> Gerryt (gerryt) wrote:
> > I've been through several hundred mailing list archives trying to
> > find info on bringing up a serial console bsd box using
> > 1.3 BETA for an i386. I have this feeling that the info doesnt apply to
> > 1.3 anymore.

To be brief:
copy and uncomment the "com" line that appears in GENERIC in your config
file
add options to suit your needs from man 4 console
Build and install /netbsd
Now create a NEW /usr/mdec tree by cd'ing to:
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot
edit Makefile
cd ..
make clean; make;make install
cd /usr/mdec
./installboot -v /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0a

that blows away your boot blocks and /boot file.
If you made any mistakes or dont specify the right options
in the Makefile you may be hosed now ...

/etc/ttys com0 entry can be 9600 baud "on" softcar|local for defaults

The options you turn on in the stand Makefile are crucial to get your
desired effect. In our case we need to be able to STOP the
boot and specify -s for single user mode from the serial console,
else you will come up in multiuser mode automatically. I dont know
what the combination is yet but Im very close.

More details for those who require them happily added.

-g