Subject: Re: Group IDs of directories (was Re: Sticky bit?)
To: Benjamin Lorenz <lorenz@ps.uni-sb.de>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/11/1997 11:57:34
>> your true complaint is that you cannot chgrp a file to a group of
>> which you are not a member.  which is perfectly correct.
>
>Actually, my true complaint was that I _can_ create a file with a
>group I am not member of just by copying it to a (writable) directory
>with that group.

that may be true, but that's the way it's done.  as for the
permissions problem, you can certainly chgrp it to something else.
it's not a security problem at all, since there's nothing you can do
with or to the file to exploit the perceived extra group.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet