Subject: Re: Java Development Kit for NetBSD?
To: Peter Simons <>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/1997 23:20:03

> I am wondering if anybody has managed to make the JDK work on a
> NetBSD/i386 machine.

> I have received the sources for the JDK from SUN
> and am about to port them to NetBSD, but this would be a -major-
> effort, as far as I can tell at the moment.

Indeed ;-) And without a motif license I doubt that you can get the
AWT going with lesstif.

> So instead of undergoing that I am considering running the JDK for
> Linux or NetBSD using the emulation code in the kernel. Has anybody
> done something like that? Or is somebody else working on a port
> already so that we could join forces?

There are at least two possibilities - there is a jdk-1.0.2 for FreeBSD
- which worked for me well - and there is the jdk-1.1.1 for Linux, which
runs very well too. I just followed `man compat_freebsd`/`man compat_linux`
and had to adjust the wrapper script .java_wrapper.

Both are available via the link-page at

   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: oder     \X/