Subject: Re: Java Development Kit for NetBSD?
To: Peter Simons <simons@rhein.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/1997 14:44:16
On 10 Sep 1997, Peter Simons wrote:

: So instead of undergoing that I am considering running the JDK for
: Linux or NetBSD using the emulation code in the kernel. Has anybody
: done something like that? Or is somebody else working on a port
: already so that we could join forces?

One thing you migth want to look at, first, is the public domain virtual
machine implementation called Kaffe.  Go to http://www.kaffe.org/ for more
information--it works well for me (though, on a SPARC 5, Java is rather slow
;).  It also has links to guavac, a Java compiler replacement for javac
that's written in C++ (and hence faster).

Since almost all the Java tools are written in Java themselves, Kaffe and
the classes.zip from the JDK is about all you need to use that virtual
machine.  I've persoanlly made 'better' scriptfiles to invoke those tools
than supplied with Kaffe, and have nearly a perfect emulation of the Sun
JDK environment.  I'll give those scripts out upon request.

Now, if you _really_ want to make a virtual machine that goes in the kernel,
I'm sure we woiuld love to see it, but I haven't heard of such a project for
NetBSD.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.