Subject: Re: Sticky bit?
To: None <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/03/1997 12:38:47
On 9/3/97 at 4:32 PM +0200, you wrote:

> drwxr-xr-t 2 root wheel 3584 Aug 30 22:57 /usr/local/bin
>
> As far as I understood the sticky bit a user != root and with a group !=
> wheel should be able to create a file in that directory. I tried it with
> output-redirection, cp and ln -s, but nothing worked! What am I missing?

If you really want to do this, you need to give world write access to your
/usr/local/bin directory. I'd feel a little shy about doing this,
personally, even if users can't randomly delete files because of the sticky
bit.

If you must give everyone write access to /usr/local/bin, try:

chmod 1777 /usr/local/bin

What I'd probably do instead is make a different directory where users can
leave binaries for each other to use.

chmod 0755 /usr/local/bin
mkdir /usr/local/tmp
chmod 1777 /usr/local/tmp

This way your /usr/local/bin remains safe, and folks can't slip things into
your search path. If you *do* give world write access to /usr/local/bin,
please make sure that it's the very LAST thing in root's path. (And while
you're there, make sure . isn't in root's path at all.)

Just my two cents.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();