Subject: announce: cvs-track 1.3
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/1997 00:06:10
http://www.paranoia.com/~vax/cvs-track/cvs-track.html

The cvs-track program is a suite of bourne-shell scripts
which call the Concurrent Versions System (hereafter CVS).
It is designed to make the act of tracking vendor sources
(that is, importing and merging onto the main development
branch) easier.  Download it and see; it's tiny.

This release incorporates minor fixes:
 o NetBSD and other people with "ash" for /bin/sh should find that
   cvs-move now parses options properly by using bash
   (ash's getopt is broken)
 o Syntactical change in bash's parsing required minor changes to track

Your comments are actively solicited.

Possible future directions:
identifying binary files via file(1) to apply appropriate flags at import
configurable unwrapping of tar and other files
automatic keyword expansion handling
  (so diffs back to your vendor won't include tons of irrelevant chunks)
moved-file detection (guessing) based on line content intersection

Sorry if you got this twice; I didn't get much response
when posting it to the cvs list.  I have no idea why that is,
aside from the reason I stopped reading it; too many
lusers who can't get CVS client-server to run on their
MS-WinLose95NT97NG3.11 boxes spamming the list with
their "unscribe me pleas" [sic].
I think NetBSD users might get quite a bit of use out of it.