Subject: NetBSD on a SS1 - worth it?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Mayo <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/30/1997 20:17:07
Hi all. I've recently come into ownership of a Sun Sparc-Station 1, with
16MB of RAM, 500MB disk.. I'm wondering if NetBSD will perform okay on this
class of machine. It currently has SunOS 4.1-GFX on it. I'd really like
the more up-to-date stuff from NetBSD (not to mention the security concerns
of running a SunOS from that era.. =)) but I also like the idea of having
a sort of "classic" version of SunOS around. Of course, i'd prefer SunOS4.1.4,
but I don't think it will be possible to get it..

So I guess I'm just looking for opinions on how NetBSD will perform on the
SS1 ! I'm not sure what I will use the machine for, although I'll probably
have to load X since the console seems so slow (OpenWindows seems to run
okay, I'm guessing X will probably be a little faster).

Any success stories or recomendations would be really appreciated!

P.S. I'm not on the list, so please respond directly to me. Thanks again.

 Mark Mayo
 RingZero Comp.

	 finger for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert