Subject: NetBSD on a SS1 - worth it?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/30/1997 20:17:07
Hi all. I've recently come into ownership of a Sun Sparc-Station 1, with
16MB of RAM, 500MB disk.. I'm wondering if NetBSD will perform okay on this
class of machine. It currently has SunOS 4.1-GFX on it. I'd really like
the more up-to-date stuff from NetBSD (not to mention the security concerns
of running a SunOS from that era.. =)) but I also like the idea of having
a sort of "classic" version of SunOS around. Of course, i'd prefer SunOS4.1.4,
but I don't think it will be possible to get it..

So I guess I'm just looking for opinions on how NetBSD will perform on the
SS1 ! I'm not sure what I will use the machine for, although I'll probably
have to load X since the console seems so slow (OpenWindows seems to run
okay, I'm guessing X will probably be a little faster).

Any success stories or recomendations would be really appreciated!

TIA,
-Mark

P.S. I'm not on the list, so please respond directly to me. Thanks again.

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert