Subject: SUMMARY: which printers will work?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anne Bennett <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/1997 23:03:35
A few days ago I wrote:

> I was assuming I could get a low-end inkjet printer,
> and use various widely available tools to translate what I want to
> print to some kind of bitmap, and feed the bitmap to the printer.
> However, I can't find out how to do this [...]
> Surely there are people out there with printers attached to their
> NetBSD machines, perhaps even modern inkjet printers.  What works?

Several people kindly gave pointers, some on the list, some privately;
thanks to:
  Bob Beck <>
  Thomas Boroske <>
  Andrew Cassin <>
  Marcus Deubel <>
  Andrew Gillham <>
  Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
  Bill Sommerfeld <>

almost all of whom pointed out that ghostscript can tranlate a file to
formats suitable for many printers.  One person also gave me the very
useful URL:

The ghostscript reference was the crucial missing link; thanks all!

Ms. Anne Bennett, Computing Services, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8                                       (514) 848-7606