Subject: Re: which printers will work?
To: Anne Bennett <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/1997 17:00:00
In message <>, you write:

> Surely there are people out there with printers attached to their
> NetBSD machines, perhaps even modern inkjet printers.  What works?

You can use any printer that ghostscript supports, you just need the
appropriate filter.

I have an Epson EQ-510 hanging off my NetBSD-Amiga system, the printcap
entry looks like this:

-- cut here --
-- cut here --

The printcap references a filter (the :if entry).  This filter looks like:

-- cut here --

/usr/local/bin/enscript -TUS -ZB -p- |
if [ "$DEVICE" = "PostScript" ]; then
        cat -
        /usr/local/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=$DEVICE \
                -r$RESOLUTION \
                -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \
                -dNOPAUSE \
                -dSAFER \
                -sOutputFile=- -

if [ "$SENDEOF" != "" ]; then
        printf "\004"

exit 0
-- cut here --

With this setup, I can convert anything to postscript, then feed the
postscript to lpr which will convert it to a format my Epson printer can
understand and print it for me.

As long as your version of ghostscript supports the printer that you want
to use, you can use a similar setup to print to it.

There is a more complex print-system that will let you just 'lpr foo'
and it will figure out what kind of file 'foo' is and convert it to ps
for you, but I have not bothered with it.

Michael Parson
SMART Technologies