Subject: Re: ping: socket: Permission denied
To: None <smason@echo-on.net>
From: Stephane Engel <steph@Inox.darh.ensta.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/02/1997 09:20:52
Shane Mason disait :

>Hello everyone,
>
>After compiling a new kernel, everything works great except for ping.
>If I login as any user set up on the system, I cannot ping.  I get the
>error
>
>ping: socket: Permission denied
>
>If I su to root and ping, it works fine.

Then you just have to type the following command under root
# chmod u+s /sbin/ping
When you'll go back to an other account, yo'll be abble to ping :-)
(chmod u+s set a sticky bit on root account, so when you'll use ping, you'll do ut as if you were root)

--
                                 Stephane ENGEL

       ----+----                 eMail : Stephane.Engel@darh.ensta.fr
          / \