Subject: Cannot allocate colormap entry...
To: NetBSD.users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/03/1997 14:06:42
Hello...

First thanks a lot for the effort of the developers. The installation and
first start of NetBSD and X were much easier than all those problem reports
of others suggested. I think the documentation is really usefull.

Ok, now to my problem. First the system-config:
- Amiga 4000/40 without a gfx-card
- NetBSD-1.2   (after solving some minor problems I will move to current)
- X11R6.1 (I got the binaries from a NetBSD-Amiga-mirror. I think it was
	   ftp.uni-augsburg.de.)

The problem occurs even with the standard-installation. After ending a

  Cannot allocate colormap entry for "LightSkyBlue".

The message is from the pager-utility. A variant of this error occurs when
I use the self-compiled nethack-3.2.2: It complains in the same way about a
broad variety of colours. I thought these colors may be missing in the
rgb.db, but with one exception they are all defined.

In the comp.windows.x-faq I found some hint about misdefined colors, that
use eight instead of sixteen bits for the color-components. Considering
this I looked in the rgb.txt, which defines only 8-bit-rgb-values. But
because the FAQ-entry addressed a problem with showing used colors only in
black and did not mention allocation-problems, I discarded this idea.

Perhaps anyone has got a clue?

TIA and bye,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke   | E-Mail: hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de
PGP-Key available | Use PGP! Or don't you use envelopes for your letters?