Subject: Ecolisp -- trouble compiling under NetBSD
To: None <attardi@di.unipi.it>
From: Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@gold.interlog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/1997 01:03:26
	[I have forked this to the ECL maintainer and the Netbsd-users
	 mailing list]

	I picked up the latest distribution of Ecolisp (.26), and tried to
compile it under NetBSD 1.2. NetBSD, like FreeBSD, is 4.4BSD derived.. it
is also very similar in many ways to FreeBSD.

	Upon ./configure and make'ing, I got an error that "BRAND" could
not be located.. upon grep'ing, I found it in machine.h, and noted that
supported hardware is absolutely required, as well as in 2 other header
files. I of course defined __FreeBSD__, and did a full recompile (this
commonly solves problems, but I didn't expect it would with dumping going
on)..

	The ecl executable popped out at the end of the compilation; I
had to add "." to my path, so that the dpp preprocessor could be
executed.. you might want to make the path dpp more explicit, so that
people needn't have to do this. But anyway.

	If I run the "ecl" program, I get an IOTrap (no core file). I
thought this strange, as the ecl_raw program runs and produces the dump.
Thusly, I imagine the problem is in the dumping of the fully-lisped "ecl".
Of course, this is likely due to FreeBSD and NetBSD not being the same
thing, and requiring differing dumping procedures or addresses or the
like.

	Has anyone reported the porting of ECL to NetBSD?

	I'm looking for a lisp package that I can easily slap onto the
side of C applications, so that C functions can easily talk to lisp
functions, and vice versa. It would appear that ECL supports this, and
would be fun to play with. It would be fun to use a C backbone to run
timings, sockets, and other tricky items I know well in C, and leave the
foreground mutable stuff in lisp.

	Any idea how I would figure out the appropriate values to put in
machine.h to make the package both compilable and executable?

		Jeff

NetBSD freebase-tofu.interlog.com 1.2 NetBSD 1.2

 SLvH            |  "Good - bad - I'm the guy with the gun."
 Jeff Mitchell   |  "Hail to the king, baby."
 skeezix@acm.org |                   -- Bruce Campbell, Armies of Darkness