Subject: Re: Java development
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Tavares <george@eps.ufsc.br>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/07/1997 11:06:48
On Wed, 7 May 1997, Sean Witham wrote:

> Do you or anyone else know how the threading is sheduled on the
> FreeBSD (or linux) JDK implementation. This seems to be different
> between the Solaris and Win 95 implementations.
>
> --Sean

	I am not sure about it, I like if anyone confirm.
	In Solaris, you have two options in threads. You can set the system
to make timeslices in Threads, i e, Each thread have your time slice to
run in CPU, or you shedule the tasks, and in time slice of task you
shedule the threads of this task. This second option is emulate thread.
	The SunOS and I think the other BSD's, they only have the Second
option, they only emulate threads. No special permissions are given to
process that have threads.

	Now about JDK. The JDK, I believe, is portable. To be portable, they
don't use the first option of solaris. The SunSoft have a package to
solaris called Java Virtual Machine. I sugest use it to have a
Multithread more eficient. About Win95, it is a question, I don't know
how work the multithread of it.

	I use Posix Thread in C(I need portable code). They are slower than
solaris native thread.

	Who interest in Posix Threads, please see
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/pthread.html

| George Tavares                          Computer Science    -    UFSC |
| Phone:(048)331-7020                     E-mail:    george@eps.ufsc.br |