Subject: Re: sendmail blues :(
To: xiamin <ingerrn@cris.com>
From: Charles Lepple <clepple@foo.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/1997 21:09:14
In message <Pine.BSD.3.91.970429142439.10051A-100000@localhost>, xiamin
writes:
>i often dont have messages sent, they sit in the que like this:
>
>pork% mailq
>                Mail Queue (1 request)
>--Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
-
>UAA07823      113 Mon Apr 28 20:44 ingerrn
>                 (Deferred: 450 <ingerrn@crispy.pork>... Sender domain
>not fou)
>                                   Pidgeongrl@aol.com

AOL has some recent addition to their mail system that causes some
messages to bounce. If you do a 'mailq -v' you'll see the whole message;
in this case, I think it doesn't like the domain of "crispy.pork" as
"pork" is not a top level domain. For instance, the "sender" of my mail is
"clepple@mug.core.foo.org", which sendmail rewrites as "clepple@foo.org"
(see the sendmail docs under "masquerading" for details). The "sender",
though (what sendmail says in "MAIL FROM" in the [E]SMTP transaction) is
kept. "core.foo.org" is an internal domain that we use here at "foo.org"
for machines behind our firewall, and AOL can't see the tables for it.
There is probably something to change in the sendmail.cf, but if you just
change sendmail's perception of the hostname to something that is
DNS-resolvable, you'll have no problems.

A jury-rig fix for single messages is to edit the queue files (check your
.cf file for the directory) and change the offending "ingernn@crispy.pork"
to whatever the world sees. It doesn't matter too much, as a different
header is used for getting the address to reply to.

--
Charles Lepple
charles@foo.org