Subject: Re: Jolitz Preaches NT
To: Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@EvTech.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:34:57
Just a couple of points on Bill Jolitz's `NT will bury Unix' remark:

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Travis Hassloch x231 wrote:

> I feel sorry for anyone waiting for 386BSD 0.2.
> I hope they all gave up years ago.

1.0 has been out for some time. It's not free.

To forstall the inevitable accusations that it's missing some of
the features or stability of the other BSDs, I'd like to point out
that that's right up there with accusing the FreeBSD folks of not
having multi-CPU support: truthful, but a bit pointless because
it's not a primary aim of the developers. The primary aim of 386BSD
is to be read by those interested in learning about operating
systems. And it does have an advantage in this regard over any
other BSD out there right now: there's at least one book that goes
into the gory details of how it works.

> There is no doubt in my mind that NT will be a better financial success
> than free Unixes.  So what?  Tell us something we don't know.
> Since when has financial success ever indicated technical merit?

Since when did saying `NT will bury Unix' have anything to do with
technical merit?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.