Subject: pppd doesn't recognize hangup
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:31:40
We offer a dial-in port for several other people and experience
problems with one particular site. The site runs Windows 3.11 and
Winsock Trumpet to connect to us via PPP. Login and everything works
fine, but the logout-process doesn't work at all.

I have now configured our pppd as follows:

 | local
 | crtscts
 | lock
 | idle 6000
 | active-filter 'tcp'
 | bsdcomp 10,10

What fixes the problem somewhat, because pppd terminates when the idle
timer exceeds. This solution is kind of a hack, though.

I tried to use the LCP-echo-requests to detect whether the other side
of the line is still alive, but it seems that Windows' pppd doesn't
answer them at all. :-(

What astonishes me is that the modem recognizes the hangup just fine,
but pppd doesn't receive a HANGUP or any other signal when the line
drops. I thought that the "local" option might be the source of the
problem, but without "local", pppd can't open the tty at all.

I am using NetBSD 1.2/i386 with an ordinary serial port on the mother
board.

Any ideas?

	-peter