Subject: Machines with several addresses
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:31:02
One of our computers is a gateway between two ethernets. Hence, it has
two addresses, namely phoenix.rhein.de (193.175.27.172 -- which is the
primary address) and 193.175.27.165. The problem I have is the
following: The machine feeds news to another machine in the second
ethernet.

What happens is that phoenix connects to the machine and says, it
would be "phoenix.rhein.de". Because both computers are in the second
ethernet, the .165 address is used. The other machine does a reverse
name lookup, which yields phoenix.rhein.de, but then does a name
lookup again to check whether somebody is trying to snoop with a
hacked DNS server. And indeed, the name server lookup returns a
different address than the specified one: The .172 address.

Is there any way I can force phoenix to use the .172 address even when
it connects in the second ethernet? I am using NetBSD 1.2/i386.

	-peter