Subject: Re: How to remove a directory, faster!
To: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:13:13
> I am removing a fully populated directory with the `rm -r ./test`
> command.
>
> Works well, for the most part, but it just seems so slow.
>
> The directory with all member directory's and file weighs in at 200Megs.
>
> I've been siting here for 5 Min. and a df in another window shows that
> I'm only down 100Megs!
>
> Any tips or tricks?

1) Rename it and let rm run in background
2) if you really need that space available ASAP, you can temporarily
   switch the filesystem to asynchronous mode
     (mount -u -o async;rm ..;mount -u -o noasync)

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,