Subject: setpwfile() can no longer open alternate password files, why?
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <johnam@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:08:11
I am working on modifying ftpd to access an alternate password file just =
for FTP access (beef up security).  I have been working on password code =
that basically duplicates all of the password features, but specifically =
for a FTP password file.

Looking through the book, "Using C on the UNIX System" from O'Reilly by =
David A. Curry (good book!), I took a look at the password stuff.  The =
book is a bit out of date on the password stuff (structure is out of =
date) but I figured I could get some pointers.  I read that, setpwfile =
can open alternate password files. =20

Could it be, the answer to all of my problems!?

Alas, I look at the NetBSD 1.1 man page on setpwfile and at the bottom, =
under compatibility I read to my dismay...

COMPATIBILITY
     The historic function setpwfile(3),  which allowed the =
specification of
     alternate password databases, has been deprecated and is no longer =
avail-
     able.

So why did this happen?  Now I'm now stuck writing code, duplicating =
effort, learning new things....

jam