Subject: Re: Apache web server and default page
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Strasser <M.Strasser@botany.uq.edu.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:07:57
On  1 Jul 96 at 16:32, Stephane Legrand wrote:

> I'm using Apache 1.0.5 with virtual hosts and i've a problem with the
> default page.
>
> If i go to www.virtual.fr (with Netscape 2.0.1), i've only the list of the
> directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/virtual.
>
> I've a file index.html in this directory and this virtual domain is
> correctly set to /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/virtual in httpd.conf like
> this :
>
> <VirtualHost IP_address>
>        ServerAdmin webmaster@virtual.fr
>        DocumentRoot /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/virtual
>        ServerName www.virtual.fr
>        ErrorLog logs/virtual.fr-error_log
>        TransferLog logs/virtual.fr-error_log
> </VirtualHost>

   That looks fine to me. We have:

<VirtualHost banana.tpp.uq.edu.au>
ServerAdmin webmaster@tpp.uq.edu.au
DocumentRoot /usr/local/etc/htdocs/tpp
ServerName www.tpp.uq.edu.au
ErrorLog logs/tpp-error_log
TransferLog logs/tpp-access_log
XBitHack Full
</VirtualHost>

for our virtual host. I presume that your machine is
configured for the second IP number and that www.virtual.fr
is directed to it.

> in srm.conf :
>
> DirectoryIndex index.html

  This looks fine too. We have:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm home.html home.htm

but that shouldn't make a difference.

> in access.conf :
>
> <Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/virtual>
>         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride All
>         <Limit GET>
>                 order allow, deny
>                 allow from all
>         </Limit>
> </Directory>

We only have this:

<Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
<Limit GET>
order allow, deny
allow from all
</Limit>
</Directory>

with this in srm.conf:

DocumentRoot /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/botany

   The difference between your config and ours is subtle,
but it might mean that ours works and yours doesn't.
   Good luck!
   Cheers,

Michael Strasser ------------ M.Strasser@botany.uq.edu.au
Computer Officer and Network Manager
Department of Botany and CRC for Tropical Plant Pathology
The University of Queensland, 4072, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3365 2071, Fax: +61 7 3365 1699
WWW: http://www.botany.uq.edu.au/~strasser