Subject: Internet Phone
To: None <Bob@XC.Org, Jonathan@XC.Org, DaveKetcham@XC.Org, netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Sutterfield <Bob@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:01:50
I'm about to install NetBSD 1.1 from the November 1995 InfoMagic
CD (http://www.infomagic.com/infomagic/2bsdisc.html) on my P75,
and I'll be happy to track NetBSD-current if necessary.
Since my organization (Mission Aviation Fellowship's Information
Technologies division) is widely dispersed, we'd like to use
some sort of Internet phone to reduce our long-distance bills.

The MS-Windows users are happy installing an off-the-shelf
commercial Internet phone product.  I need to find something
to satisfy the needs of those of us who prefer to use computers
with operating systems.

Do any of the commercial phone products support NetBSD, or has
anyone reverse-engineered their protocol to build a free
version for NetBSD?  Has anyone rolled together a free
(MBone-based?) phone system that includes both MS-Windows and
NetBSD clients?

Oh yeah, and once we find the software, what sound card should
we use?  Will a base-level $89 SoundBlaster suffice, or will we
see significant convenience and quality improvements in something
like a bidirectional AWE32 or Gravis?
--
Bob Sutterfield                      MAFLink Technical Manager
Bob@XC.Org  +1 614 267 7611  http://www.xc.org/people/bob.html