Subject: This is how to get your Intel EtherExpress to work (was RE: I ntel
To: 'current-users' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:01:32
If you have a DOS partition, boot it, if not use your handy dandy DOS
boot disk.  Run the Intel Ethernet Express 16 setup program
(softset.exe).

Go to manual configuration and enable buffers at 0xCC000, 0xD0000,
0xD4000, 0x8000, or 0xD8000 only.  Make sure the buffers are 32Kbyte
buffers, not 16Kbyte buffers (not supported).

The card will magically work.  Ignore that stupid AT&T error, it's part
of the Starlan detection code which happens before the EXP16 detection
code.

Also, actually the EXP16 IS detected!  The code finds that your card
exists then tries to find out where your cards buffer is located, if it
doesn't find a 32Kbyte buffer in the range listed above, the code just
bails with no message.  So yes, your card was detected, the code just
didn't tell you why.  I had to go through the code to find this out,
since it isn't documented anywhere.  At least the author of the EXP16
code is a good coder and commenter (hat off to who ever deserves this
complement).

jam