Subject: Re: Why doesn't the Kernel compile with the -m option?
To: None <root@beta.datastorm.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 21:00:36
>From: "John A. Maier" <root@beta.datastorm.com>
>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:17:30 -0600
>
>I am sitting here compiling 1.1 on a i486.  I noticed that there is no -m486 option in the compiling options, why?

Because we don't assume that the kernel will run on a 486.  If you
want it, it's easy enough to add (in your kernel config):

makeoptions DEBUG="-m486"

>I would assume for a i386 there would be a -m386 option and there is no -m586 option as of 1.1 (well not with the default compiler).

As of now, gcc lacks Pentium-specific optimizations.

>Is this going to change with the next release for Intel based NetBSD machines?

That's up to the FSF (and/or Cygnus).

>An why the request for the CPU type in the config file?

Some of the low-level CPU control registers differ between the 386,
486, and Pentium.  Take a look at /sys/arch/i386/i386/locore.s.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel