Subject: a few quirks booting sparc with i386 server
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Chase <tim@alpha.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/1997 20:52:22
Hello,

Since 1.1 was released, I decided to bring it up on a SPARC IPC.  I've
got it working diskless from a i386 running 1.1 (-current) but discovered
a few oddities and wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this.

First, for some reason, an ARP entry on the i386 (server) system doesn't
get added for the SPARC.  The rarpd program is giving the SPARC its IP
address, but the ARP entry is never added on the i386 system.  I worked
around it for now by using the "arp" program to add it by hand before
booting the SPARC.

Second, after the SPARC boots, I discovered it was sending a continuous
streem of SETATTR NFS requests to the i386 system.  I tracked it down to
the syslogd program which was spinning in a CPU loop.  If I kill it and
restart it, it goes into a loop as soon as it tries to syslog something.

Finally, a question:  What are the /dev entries for the serial ports
supposed to be for an IPC?  /dev/ttya seems to be unconfigured.

--
Tim Chase <tim@alpha.net>		  |	Alpha dot Net, Corp.
PGP public key: finger tim@box.alpha.net  |	Milwaukee, WI USA