Subject: Re: DMA mode on IDE drives
To: None <laine@MorningStar.Com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/1997 13:56:49
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 00:46:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>

>    wd0: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
>
>This implies that one of the following isn't true:
>
>	if ((wd->sc_params.wdp_capabilities & WD_CAP_DMA) != 0 &&
>	    wdc->sc_drq != DRQUNK)

Probably the latter.  Right now no kernel config files assign a drq to
wdc? because most IDE controllers (and drives) lack support for it.

>Is there something else I need to do to make this work? (like, telling
>it a drq in the kernel config file, for example? If so, which one?) (And
>more importantly, if I get it working will the CPU actually be free to
>do other stuff while the transfers are taking place?

You need to append 'drq X' to the wdc0 line in your kernel config.
Which DMA channel is used depends on your motherboard; you may be able
to extract the information from your machine's BIOS setup screen(s).
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel