Subject: Re: mail
To: xiamin <ingerrn@cris.com>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/1997 20:03:39

> can anyone recommend a good mail program? currently i am using pine, and
> i like it, but its a real memory hog when your inbox has 200+ messages in
> it. also, i kinda want to use something with a flashy x interface
> -xiamin

	xterm -e "/usr/bin/mail" ;-)

	Actually I've used xmail and others before, and never liked
them much. They all suck wind on big mboxes.  The simple answer is
keep your inbox relatively small.  If you get too much mail to do that
easily look at installing procmail as your delivery agent and using it
to filter your incoming mail from certain sources (like mailing lists)
into folders for you automagically so it doesn't lurk in your inbox.
I actually go one further and "rotate" the folders I have procmail
stuffing a number of mailing lists into, (with a cron job similar to
syslog rotation) so I don't have to remember to go in and delete them.

	Failing that you could always use netscape. You probably
won't notice a big difference in memory consumption no matter
how obscenely big your inbox gets (giggle ;-)

	-Bob