Subject: Re: mail queue
To: None <charles@foo.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/1997 10:02:57
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Charles Lepple wrote:

> and we have a queue-running process every 30 seconds:
> This can really bring stuff down if you have a flaky connection...

Actually, the latest versions of sendmail have per-host retries.
So if sendmail can't send to aol.com, no matter how many times the
queue runs in the next hour, it will wait an hour before trying
that particular site again. This lets me run my queue on a very
busy machine (750 MB/week of outgoing mail) every ten minutes.

It's definitely a good idea to read through the docs that come with
sendmail if you want to optimise deliveries. It's also a good idea
to download the latest and greatest version.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'