Subject: serial installation failed
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/1997 03:57:34
Hello,

i've tried (in vain) installing 1.2 on a i386 system from another machine
running 1.2/i386 via a serial connection between the two machines. Connecting
the two machines with a crossed cable always gave me hangs on the serial ports,
at least i have that impression when echo'ing to /dev/tty00 and cat'ing from
/dev/tty00. slattach didn't say anything, too. Marking one line as local (in
/etc/ttys) didn't help. I used 1.2 boot/install disks on the new machine.

Another thing i didn't get to work was tip on the install floppy. it always
seems to look for a phone number in /etc/systems or so, which of course isn't
there on the floppy. Is this behaviour intended? Should i send-pr it?

After all, i got the machine installed after borrowing a NE2000 network card
from a friend. ;)

Hubert

P.S.: COMCONSOLE should be mentioned in arch/i386/GENERIC IMHO... send-pr?

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>