Subject: mkboot 2.1 released
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/1997 09:04:56
mkboot 2.1 has been made available to the public

it is located at:

ftp://ftp.unit.no/pub/NetBSD/contrib/mkboot-2_1.tar.gz

The mkboot program is a script suite that encapsulates all the bogosity
involved in creating boot, root, and fixit diskettes.  It is created and
optimized for creating 3.5" HD floppies on the x86, but should work on
other arches as well.  It fits more on there than you might expect,
since it uses crunch and other techniques to pack 'em in.  I have also
optimized the floppy disk parameters for these disks.

This package can save your butt!  The fixit disk contains enough utilities
to recover from a trashed root partition.

I originally had hoped to release a "sniffer" disk which contained a base
file system capable of debugging network problems.  Due to library
conflicts, crunchgen needed a little help in creating the disk, so I
will have to release an interim fix in binary form.
I used this on a floppy-only PC to diagnose a rarpd problem on (at least)
the x86 (which still remains unfixed AFAIK).