Subject: ..but I /want/ to babble into the slip tty line!
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.hna.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/1995 19:23:48
I've recently been handed the task of running a volunteer public
access system on my NetBSD-1.0 workstation, after the previous Linux
system and its operator retired.

A large number of users are dial-in SLIP accounts, who are nearly
all using Windows, so as a rule they're incapable of reconfiguring
their "login.cmd" file to suit the new system and therefore I'm
required to recreate the previous system's behaviour as far as
possible.  Part of that was printing up the IP address, MTU,
netmask, etc, before the sl interface is attached, but a glance at
the source for sliplogin.c shows this is specifically disabled.

To get around this, I've had to chomp the part in sliplogin.c that
redirects stdout and errout.  Is there any real reason the original
behaviour is needed?  Could this modification make it into -current ?
(I guess places that use dynamic IP need this hack too..)

Btw, the code that gets the slip unit number (SLIOCGUNIT) wouldn't
happen to be buggy in 1.0, would it?  A second slip system just
dialed in and slip.login was called with [sl] "0" again. :-(

--
Chris Baird,, <cjb@hna.com.au>