Subject: shareable executables
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/15/1995 14:23:53
Faced with memory problems, I'm trying to make a couple of
frequently-used executables on my system shareable.  (e.g. emacs)

1)  Will this make any difference in memory usage, or is the kernel
smart enough to not make duplicate copies of images in core?

2)  Are executables somehow shareable (or the equivalent) by default?

3)  If not, how would I make a shareable executable?  The sticky(8)
man page says to use "ld -n -z", but ld doesn't recognize -n.  I'd
think that I would need some kind of arg to gcc, but I can't tell
which.

TIA.

					Chris

--
**********************cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu**********************
* Chris  | "Nobody likes brain alteration!"                              *