Subject: NCR card + Quantum VP32210 SCSI Drive probs
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charlie & <root@eolas.fcollins.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/11/1995 15:41:43
Hi All,

Just supped the latest sources and attempted to rebuild a kernel for
my system and I am getting errors at boot time on the SCSI to disk
transfers.

I built a kernel about a week ago and booted from it with no
problems, but ended up scrapping that kernel and trying to get MH up
and running, so I did not build the rest of the system.

I also noticed that the scsiconf.c and sd.c files in /sys/scsi
have been recently changed (Aug 7th), so I thought it might be that.

System is as follows:

Pentium 90 PCI bus - 32Mbyte RAM
NCR PCI SCSI card (53c810 based PCI-SC200 card)
Quantum VP32210 Fast SCSI-II 2.02 Gbyte HDD

That's about all you need to know for this little problem.

The system probes all go OK, and identify all the drives, including
the Quantum and an external NEC 4Xe CD-ROM.  However, it appears
that when the disk is probed for sizes etc. , it goes berserk with
the following messages:

extraneous data discarded
COMMAND FAILED (9 0) ncr(0:0:0)
.
.
.
(repeated so rapidly that I dont know whether there is any other
message at the start)

It appears to be receiving the XE_EXTRA_DATA error and barfing, and
does not write anything to the logs - this is why I can't be sure of
what is said.

As I said before, I don't think it is a problem with the PCI card,
because it inits OK and finds all its devices.  It seems to be when
it talks to the drive.

Any takers?

Dave.