Subject: Re: Small Problem:
To: John E.R. Jasen <jjasen1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/1995 16:54:20

> I am running a machine at home, with two IDE drives. I
> partitioned/formatted/etc the second drive for NetBSD, and executed the
> copy_kernel command, as outlined in the INSTALL file.
>
> According to the INSTALL, and to the boot disk, this should now allow me
> to boot NetBSD off the hard drive. However, it boots straight into Win95.
> Is it something where BSD can't be installed on an IDE slave drive and
> boot, did I not execute a necessary step in telling it to give me a
> choice between Dos/Win and BSD, or am I missing the obvious?

It's not really BSD's fault but more a matter of the PC BIOS not
booting off the 2nd IDE drive.  What you need is either (1) boot off
floppy and tell the BSD boot loader to go to wd1 or (2) get a "boot
manager" which is basically a small program that gets booted instead
of Dos/BSD/etc., and then prompts you for which disk/partition to boot
from.

For option (2), I've used BTEASY with good success for some time now.
The other program I've heard that works with 2 disks is the "beta" of
OS-BS.  You can find all of these on
ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dos-tools (I couldn't find them on
ftp.netbsd.org at the moment).

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu