Subject: Re: A general question about FreeBSD and NetBSD
To: G. David Butler <butler@sun1-dal.tx.stratus.com>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/12/1995 13:42:51
> I have just joined the BSD band-wagon and have a nagging question.

This isn't a nagging question, it's a non-sequitor!  8-).

> Why are there two separate development efforts of the BSD 4.4 Lite/386BSD
> code?  It seems both groups have similiar goals and directions (in fact
> it seems the groups "borrow" ideas/code from each other.

Well, CSRG is (according to them) shutdown.  I have heard nothing from
Bill for forever (though I did talk to Lynne after they starte the DDJ
advertising), so I can't speak to 386BSD.

386BSD split off from CSRG when Bill felt that he wasn't going to get to
produce a bootable disk for 4.4 (you really should read the original
386BSD anti-UUNET disclaimer, available at archives where you can still
find 386BSD 0.1 ...few of them).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---