Subject: [Q] mounting DOS IDE drive
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin BRADLEY <fox@CS.McGill.CA>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/1995 12:01:48
aroo.

   I recently kicked NetBSD off my IDE drive, from which it used to
   boot, and put the whole system on my SCSI... (ahhh, clean disk I/O).

   I never used to have DOS on the system, but I installed it on the
   IDE drive for the hell of it. It is DOS 6.22, on a WD Caviar 2340
   (325 meg drive..)

   The drive is located, of course, as wd0. NetBSD's fdisk seems to
   think that the partition is wd0e. So, I go ahead to mount from
   NetBSD, with

      mount -t msdos /dev/wd0e /mnt0

   like I always do with floppies. But, I get

      mount: msdos: invalid argument

   or something to that effect. I read a while ago that this is a
   known problem with the DOS disklabel (or lack thereof). Is there
   any way around this? Can I use NetBSD fdisk to setup the drive?
   Or disklabel?

   It's not the end of the world if I can't mount my DOS drive, but
   it might be nice.

   Ah yes, one other question: Is anyone aware of a boot manager that
   can boot off of either an IDE or a SCSI? OS-BS seems to be only
   capable of booting off of separate partitions on IDE drive 0...

   thanks for any pointers or assistance here.

--
                                       Colin Bradley
                                       fox@cs.mcgill.ca