Subject: Re: NexGen Nx586 compatibility question:
To: None <jjasen1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/30/1995 15:42:30
   I am running a machine at home with 40 megs of RAM, 2 IDE drives with a
   total of 1.4 gigs storage, a nameless vlb svga controller with an S868<?>
   chip, promise eide controller, and a Nx586-100 motherboard.

   Will either netbsd or freebsd:
   a) run on the Nx586?

I'm not aware of any incompatibilities that should prevent NetBSD from
working.  However, I've not actually seen a machine with a NexGen
chip, so I can't attest that it actually does.

   b) gain any advantage on the Nx586, over the Pentium, by ducking the CISC
   code altogether and taking advantage of the RISC architecture?

Not yet.