Subject: Re: NetBSD on Laptops...
To: None <gnn@abekas.com>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/1995 13:21:10
> 	I'm seriously considering buying a laptop in the next month or
>     so.  I'd like to hear from people who have put NetBSD on laptops,
>     and any recommendations on models etc.
>
> 	If I get enough responses I'll cull them into a list/faq for the
>     list.
>
> Thanks,
> George

I recently bought a Gateway 2000 Liberty laptop and I run NetBSD on it and
love it.  It's a 100MHz DX4 with a 720 Meg Drive, 24 Meg of memory, a 10.4
inch color screen (not active) and it weighs 4.2 lbs.  I had to hack the
kernel a bit to get it to work, but it now works.  (I had to hack the wd
driver an the pms driver.)  I still need to get PCMCIA support working and
real APM support working.

I can close the lid on this machine while it's running and it enters
suspend mode (where it can sit for weeks on a single battery).  With the
kernel hacks, it will now come out of suspend, reinitialize the clock and
away it goes.  No reboot necessary.  In fact in suspend mode, I can remove
the hard drive and battery and NetBSD still will resume just fine.

You can't install from the 1.0 floppies because the 1.0 wd driver won't
work at all.  I can give you a kernel floppy image that will work.  It is
the 1.0 floppy with a sort-of-current kernel.  That kernel works but won't
handle the suspends and disk spin-downs (and doesn't match the binaries).
Then you can then install a complete current and a kernel with my mods.  My
mods work, but are considered too much of a hack (they really are) to get
into the release.  I am working on a real solution but it requires APM
support and there are only so many hours in a day...

Dave