Subject: Re: HotJava?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/06/1995 18:34:13
In the beginning there was nothing. Then der Mouse said:

>Are we talking Java (the language) or HotJava (the Web browser, written
>in Java)?  I can't imagine why the former would need Motif.

>Which, if either, is worth having on NetBSD is another question.
>Personally, I have no use for HotJava, but Java might be a neat toy.

Well, since HotJava is, as you pointed out, written in Java-- which by
definition is architecture neutral-- there's really no porting to be
done there. The port is in the Java runtime, which I imagine must use
Motif for some of its libraries, like the abstract Window class.

--
   ... Michael K. Sanders ... msanders@confusion.net ... NetBSD/Amiga ...

 The Confusion Network :: Creating Chaos out of Anarchy for a Better Tomorrow
 now is the only thing that's real