Subject: Re: port-i386/933: fchown warning from mv since updating to -current
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@SJ.Xenotropic.COM>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/1995 20:10:50
In message <199504020154.LAA13182@zen.void.oz.au>,
	"Simon J. Gerraty" writes:
>> I'd guess that /tmp is owned by group wheel, so files created in that
>> directory by default are owned by group wheel, and that user `news' is
>
>Yes /tmp was owned by group wheel and news is not a member.
>
>/etc/mtree/4.4BSD.dist indicates that this is correct.
>
>uname=root gname=wheel mode=01777
>
>at least that's what I've always used.
>
>> not in group wheel, so mv(1) is unable to change the group of the
>> file.
>
>Yet all apparently necessary ownership was correct once the mv was
>completed.  Though I guess that was more the fact that /var/spool/nn
>was owned by group news ?
>
>Ok, so now /var/tmp is owned by group bin
>
>news:8$ touch /var/tmp/junk
>news:9$ ls -lg /var/tmp/junk
>-rw-rw-r--  1 news  bin  0 Apr  2 11:47 /var/tmp/junk
>news:10$ mv /var/tmp/junk /var/spool/nn
>mv: /var/spool/nn/junk: set owner/group: Operation not permitted
>news:11$ ls -lg /var/spool/nn/junk
>-rw-rw-r--  1 news  news  0 Apr  2 11:47 /var/spool/nn/junk
>news:12$ ls -aldg /var/tmp
>drwxrwxrwt  2 root  bin  512 Apr  2 11:48 /var/tmp
>news:13$ id
>uid=8(news) gid=8(news) groups=8(news)
>
>Interesting neh?

The BSD group semantics are fundamentally broken, and always have been.
It would be much, much, nicer if NetBSD offered the SysV (correct)
semantics as some type of option.  Or at least the SunOS 4-style
semantics.

--
Jason Downs           | GCS/CM -d+ H(+++) s+:++ !g p? !au w+ v-(*)
downsj@xenotropic.com | C++(+++) UBAVHS++++$ P--- E--- N+++ W--- M-- V--