Subject: Serial ports in 1.0
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mr T Crummey (DIJ) <tom@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/1995 01:08:16
Hello,

I have recently added a dual 16550 serial board to my 486 50 MHz machine
and I reconfigured the kernel appropriately with the 3rd port on irq 5
and the 4th on irq 7. I also disabled the parallel port in the kernel
configuration. However, I am now seeing incredible numbers of silo
overflows on all my serial ports (including the mouse port) and using my
modem with either my old 16450 ports or my new 16550 ports has
become a nightmare of lost data.

If anyone has any ideas on how to cure these problems I would be
very grateful to hear them.

My modem is a USR Courier V34. The 16550s are on a USR dual serial board
set up for COM3 and COM4 on interrupts 5 and 7 respectively.

Even an explaination of why all my serial ports are now performing so badly
would be a help. I am running NetBSD 1.0 pl 6

Thanks in advance,
--
Tom.

  Tom Crummey,                      EMAIL: tom@sees.bangor.ac.uk |      /\
  University of Wales, Bangor,                                   |     /  \/\
  School of Electronic Engineering Science,                      |  /\/    \ \
  Dean Street, Bangor,                   TEL: +44 (0)1248 382694 | /  ======\=\
  Gwynedd, LL57 1UT, U.K.                FAX: +44 (0)1248 361429 |  B A N G O R